Tips on Nurturing Self Esteem and Confidence in Your Child
Children have big dreams from an early age. Self-esteem comes from feeling loved and secure. To build their confidence and help them realise their dreams, here are a few tips:
- Let your child take healthy risks (you don’t have to rescue them from failure all the time. Kids have to take chances, make choices and take responsibility for them.
- Step back – allow your kids to do the things they are capable of doing themselves, like tying their shoes or getting dressed.
- Praise your child for their accomplishments, but don’t overpraise either or they will start thinking they have to be perfect all the time. Instead praise them for trying and taking risks and help them to understand how they can learn from their mistakes.
- Let kids make their own age appropriate choices – kids as young as 2 years old start considering the consequences of their decisions.
- Let them help around the house – Even as toddlers, asking your children to help with cooking, setting the table or making beds allows them to demonstrate their competence and feel that their contribution is valuable.
- Encourage children to pursue their interests fully – If they make a commitment to do something, ensure they complete the task no matter how big or small.
- Make sure your child’s goals are age appropriate and are reachable so that they are not being set up to fail before even trying.
- Make it clear to them that your love for them is unconditional – let your child know that you love her even when she fails or makes bad decisions.